Rename the Higgs Boson?
It's unofficial nickname, "The God Particle," may be the least popular nickname in science right now. It appearantly was bestowed upon kind of by accident by Leon Lederman, the nobel laureate at Fermilab. He was writing a book about it, and wanted to call it "The Goddamn Particle," but the publisher balked at the name and shortened it to "The God Particle."
But what to rename it?
The new suggestions so far are... lackluster. One idea is to use an acronym of all of the contributors last names, but there aren't really enough vowels in the bunch to make that pronounceable. Hagen suggested calling it the "Standard Model Scalar Meson" or "SM Squared" for short. Still not very catchy.
We here at PhysicsCentral have come up with our own lineup of suggestions.
1) Change it to an unpronounceable symbol (scientists love symbols) and refer to it as "The Particle Formerly Known as Higgs."
2) Shorten its name simply to "Boson" but only write it in Comic Sans. The people at CERN know why...
3) Name it Todd... Todd is a nice name. Also we can call it the Todd Particle.
4) The Lardon. The Higgs boson gives matter its mass. That's kind of like what too much lard does to my waistline.
5) Put the naming rights up for corporate sponsorship and sell it to the highest bidder. We could have the Pepsi Particle, or the H&R Block Boson. Though if Nabisco bought it, they would probably keep the name the same and release a line of "Higgs Newtons."
Matthew Bright said...
Sunday, May 12, 2013 at 6:18 PM
Why not name it as simplely "Higgs" or "Peter" in honour for the first person who proposed its existence??
Sunday, April 28, 2013 at 12:56 PM
I vote for Lardon!!
Friday, April 26, 2013 at 3:41 AM
lingjia shen said...
MrWho should be fine！
Thursday, April 25, 2013 at 4:15 PM
I vote for Todd
Wednesday, April 24, 2013 at 7:40 AM
How about renaming its definition while your at it - "the particle that adds a tiny bit of missing mass to make a theory complete" since most of the mass comes from binding energies.
Wednesday, April 24, 2013 at 2:06 AM