Butterfly-Inspired Flying Robots
Mechanical engineers aim high-speed video cameras at planet's prettiest bugs to obtain flight insights.
- Unraveling a Butterfly’s Aerial Antics Could Help Builders of Bug-Size Flying Robots
- The beautiful science of a butterfly's flight
- Rajat Mittal, Johns Hopkins University
Inside Science Buzzwords:
- Micro aerial vehicle (MAV) - an unmanned aerial vehicle that is designed to be small and in some cases may possess the ability to maneuver on its own.
- Flight dynamics - the study of how forces, such as gravity and friction, influence a flying object's speed and maneuverability.
- Maneuverability - the ability to avoid obstacles and shift positions quickly and easily.