Designing Stable Tiny Fliers
Top-heavy design increases stability.
- Leif Ristroph, Researcher, New York University
- Building Better Flapping Fliers
- The importance of being top-heavy: Intrinsic stability of flapping flight
Inside Science Buzzwords:
- Flight Stability - The ability of an object to maintain a specific angle and position while moving through the air.
- Aerodynamic Lift - The lift created by aerodynamic forces acting on an airfoil that oppose the force of gravity.
- Airfoil - The shape of the wing or blade.