X-Ray Laser Mimics the Sun
'Solid Plasma' Mimics Stellar Environment
- World’s Most Powerful X-ray Laser Creates 2-Million-Degree Matter
- Matter in Extreme Conditions
- Bob Nagler in Pursuit of Extreme Conditions
Inside Science Buzzwords:
- Plasma - a state of matter made of electrically charged particles with properties similar to a gas.
- Solid Plasma - a dense plasma similar to what is found at the center of stars like our sun.
- X-ray laser - a laser that uses electromagnetic radiation beyond the ultraviolet spectrum.
- Linac Coherent Light Source - a bright and powerful x-ray laser at SLAC that uses ultra-short wavelengths of x-rays to both probe and heat matter.